I had never written a blog before, nor I had understood what a blog was used for. While I am still a bit confused, I know how useful a blog can be, even though some blogs are only opinions. However, most blogs are informational and filled with the author's voice. There are travel blogs that recommend what to do in which city or country, there are blogs about reading and writing tips, and about recipes for food. There is a blog for just about anything!
While I felt like I struggled writing blogs in the beginning, I feel like my most professionally written blog was my very first one about technology. I feel like I tried really hard to sound professional and this kind of resembles an academically written paper (or that is what it feels like to me).
The blog that I enjoyed the most making and felt the most passionate about was actually my fourth blog post, which is my creativity nomination. Anytime I can explain my passion and how digital storytelling has been around for ages before it even had a name, the enthusiasm and work ethic of my writing shoots up when I get to write about my passions. There are so many great games out there that came out on older gaming systems that involved storytelling, such as "The Legend of Zelda" and "Sonic", which recently came out with a second movie.
My multimodal design nomination is the blog where I introduced myself by creating a collage. For this blog, I had to create a digital collage of my interests and hobbies, and I had never done anything like that before. I had asked my peers what program they used or where to go, and I was recommended to use canva, which was my first time using it. I loved being able to use a multimodal device to put saved pictures and google images together in a cohesive manner, without the use of glue, paper, and having to print the pictures out. It was a fun experience and I will probably be using canva in the future!
As for my civic engagement nomination, it would have to be my seventh blog post where I posted a video I made to go with the book I read for that specific topic. The section I chose to highlight from the endangered species list were wolves, which are my favorite animal, but there are so many animals on the endangered list and more awareness needs to be raised, especially when it comes to leaving animals alone in the wild. I can not emphasis that enough. My dad, step-mother, step-uncle, took a trip to Yellowstone National Park, where the animals are wild, but it is a sanctuary and the animals roam free. There were a couple times where we would see a ton of buffalo either on the side of the road or in the middle of the road, and people would park, get out of the car with their child in their arms, and encourage their child to try and pet the wild buffalo. Wild animals are not pets, they are not domesticated, and something can go horribly wrong if one tries to interfere with the wildlife. Luckily nothing happened while we were there, but ... yea, that topic gets me heated, apologies.
As for my people's choice award ... oh boy. I would have to say Rigel's posts. I would read her posts and be able to relate, and we were also able to have some good conversation about what she had written.
Thanks for being my blog posts buddies this semester and I hope to see some of you in class next semester!
Hi Krystine,
ReplyDeleteI really love how you were able to incorporate your love of gaming into your blogging posts. It really shows how we want students to be able to incorporate their own passions into their learning and connect their outside literacies with their academic ones. This would be a great example for your students in the future if you decide to incorporate some form of blogging into your lesson planning.
- Angie
Hi Krystine!
ReplyDeleteI am excited to see your final project since like Angie said you have intertwined your interests with your posts (which shows all of us how strong your writer's voice is)! I also LOVED rigels blog posts so great choice! You did an excellent job explaining all of your choices so nice work over all, it is best to be descriptive! I am happy you like Canva, it is also my favorite editing platform. I am sure we will all continue to comment on each others work in the next year!
Hi Krystine,
ReplyDeleteI really liked that you mentioned how blogs can be used for so many different things apart from school purposes. I think it would be enjoyable for people to be creative with their blogging and use it for different purposes, I never thought about it that much so I enjoyed that you mentioned that at the beginning!
I think it is super cool to see the variety of people's posts and thoughts in their blogging experience and since I have not visited yours much this semester it was cool to see your take on things!
-Drew
Hey Krystine! Thank you for the vote :) You always thought of our lessons in a different way than I did so I appreciated that we were able to discover new things together. I am not a gamer in any sense of the word so I liked that you could bring that perspective and made me think about how I can use it in my own classroom.
ReplyDeleteRigel