Friday, February 25, 2022

The Process of Writing - Pro Blog 3

I have always found self reflections difficult to write, and this post is no different as it is a reflection of one's own writing or writing process and I am not sure how my process differs from others' process as each person has a different way of writing or working through a problem. The problem in this case, is the writing process ... I know that does not make much sense, but it does to me. And now I am ranting ... anywho.

I guess my writing process starts with trying to figure out a topic that I want to write about. For example, in my history class this semester, we have to write a research paper, but we get to choose the topic as long as it relates to the class. In this class and another class, we also get to pick a topic, given this class and the other are projects, but to me, projects and writing are the same. It all boils to the topic. Once a topic is chosen, I then need to conduct research and figure out which quotes I want to use. Once I have the quotes (in a separate note document), I can then begin writing. I differ because I do not use outlines or graphic organizers. I just write. I am not sure if this would be classified as pre-writing, as this is just a way to get ideas to flow, and I cannot skip around. I have to start with a title, intro, body, and conclusion. A lot of people have told me to just start with the body, but in my mind, I cannot, and the title, intro, and conclusion have always been my weak spot. This is the same process for projects, minus the quotes. A project needs a topic, research done on the topic, and if the project is being presented, an intro, body, and conclusion, and the project itself may change and be edited. One idea may not work and so the entire project needs to be revised.

Once I have my 'pre-write' written, I then use this document as well as my notes document to write the rough draft that will be edited and submitted as a final. However, as Flower & Hayes state: "We may call the second draft a “final,” but this is a misnomer, one that leads to a misguided sense of how real-world revision works. It is almost impossible, unless you get very, very lucky, unless your topic has been living in your head for a long, long while, to go from first thinking to working draft in just two tries. A writer may rework a draft for publication three or four times, put it away for a while, and then rework it three or four more. Sometimes, this process goes through several cycles, each of them a combination of rehearsing, drafting, and revision" ("The 9 Rights of Every Writer A Guide for Teachers" 68). I realize this is a long quote, but it provides an explanation for the thought that a piece of writing is never truly complete. A piece of writing can always be worked on or edited or revised.

The articles https://writing.ku.edu/writing-process and

https://cmsw.mit.edu/writing-and-communication-center/resources/writers/writing-process/#:~:text=Writing%20is%20a%20process%20that,develop%20and%20expand%20your%20ideas. explain the processes of writing in a summarization as well what each step means. There is one difference between what step 2 should be, which is if research is needed. Other than that, step 1 is prewriting, step 2 (research if needed) otherwise drafting, step 3 is revising, and the last step is editing.

I was going to provide a picture of the documents themselves, but as these were written for a class, I decided to just take a picture of my saved files, as I did not want to break any Academic Conduct rules. But in Essay One notes are quotes as well as the questions that needed to be addressed in the Essay. Using Essay 1 notes, I was able to write Essay 1 without having to go back and fourth between the texts, as I had already picked out the possible quotes. That does not mean I used all the quotes in my notes, it just means I had an abundance of ideas and I was able to write my paper in a way that incorporated the quotations I had found.


9 comments:

  1. Figuring out your topic can definitely be a difficult task. I always forget about that part since alot of our classes assign you those. My files look a lot similar to yours. Its weird to think now that I will never look back at alot of the writing I produced because I was only submitting it for my grade. I wonder what it would be like to have a folder full of creative writing instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that prewriting and writing isn't a two step process. Unfortunately we often arent given enough time on writing to make it a longer process.

      Delete
    2. Hey Madison,

      I actually took a creative writing class a few semesters ago, and I have done some other types of creative writing. If you ever want to read any of it (very terrible) lemme know!

      Delete
    3. I was thinking that same thing Madison. I have all of these papers from past classes and I never go back and re-read them. I don't think I could find them if I tried at this point. Considering how much work we put into them it's a shame they aren't something we want to look back on.

      Delete
  2. Hi Krystine,

    I find it amazing that you are simply able to right without needing to plan out what you will say beforehand with an outline. I am the complete opposite. I need to have a plan of action before I dive in. I think without an outline, I can imagine your writing comes out sounding very authentic and that is not a bad quality to have as a writer at all.

    - Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angie,

      I just feel like with outlines or graphic organizers, I find myself trying to fit in EVERYTHING written in those outlines and then my writing just kind of ...meh. I used to HATE doing those graphic organizers in school, and I think part of the problem for me with organizers is that a lot of the time, I get writer's block and do not know what I want to write and then with due dates approaching, I find myself being forced to write, but without having to force information from an organizer into a paper where the info may not necessarily fit. ... I hope all that makes sense.

      Delete
  3. Hey Krystine, It's amazing how we all tackle writing differently. I get tired just reading about your writing process because it's so different from the way I would do it. Outlines have been a really good way for me to visualize what I want to write. Then I can use that framework to flesh out the structure. Of course, that really only works for a rigid paper and probably wouldn't be as easy to do with a story. Creative writing classes scare me but it might be worth looking into if I stick with teaching English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rigel,

      What is it that scares you about creative writing? I think for me, when I get to write creatively is when I enjoy writing. I got to write my own vampire story for my final in my vampire folklore class and I love creating my own world of characters and it gives students another way for them to have an outlet, though, I know creative writing is not for everybody.

      Delete
    2. I guess the problem I have is that I don't feel like I have any ideas for writing a story. I feel like I'd just be recycling other people's ideas, maybe more like fan fiction or head canon. Considering how much time I spend in my own mind, I never think of stories that I just have to get out into the world. It's mostly just rehashing things that have already happened.

      Delete

The Eighth and Final Blog Post - Reflection

 I had never written a blog before, nor I had understood what a blog was used for. While I am still a bit confused, I know how useful a blog...