Friday, February 4, 2022

A Biography About MY Experiences - Pro Blog 2

Hello All! My name is Krystine Rabe and I am an Undergraduate at University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. I am currently studying English Education as well as Classics (specifically ancient civilizations). If I am being honest, I am not a huge fan of reading and writing. With that being said, I thoroughly enjoy writing creative stories and researching about other cultures and the various myths associated with them. The trick for me personally is finding a topic I can really connect with. For example, I have written about how archaeology provides information on ancient cultures and how certain individuals may have been treated, and most of this information comes from burial sites. It is truly fascinating what one can learn and how similar ancient cultures were to one another. My reading interests are the same as my writing interests: Fantasy and myths.

My reading and writing experiences mainly come from school experiences. I have read and given feedback on papers written by my peers, and I have received feedback from my peers as well as my instructors, which was a personal challenge. As an introvert and over thinker, I feel like going to an instructor during office hours or before or after class feels like I am imposing on them, which is not the case. Instructors and teachers are there to help and after going to a few of my instructors for additional help, I felt more at ease with my writing and what they would be looking for on future papers. The best I advice I can give to those reading this blog is to go to an instructor if you are struggling. While they will not tell you what to write, they will give you questions to ponder and do not be afraid to bring in a rough draft for them to look over. A rough draft is not the final piece that will be turned in, and there is so much a writer can improve on from a rough draft to the final draft of turn in.

Other than loving to learn about other cultures, I also have a degree in Information Technology Network Administration, and I served as a United States Marine doing and learning about Supply Chain Management. I also have two tattoos: a yin/yang with a dragon in the middle, and my other tattoo is of a dragon holding a twenty side die with a straw hat on its head.

In my free time, I love to watch Netflix, Disney + (I love Disney movies), Hulu, and Amazon Prime with my cat. I love to watch: fantasy, adventure, mystery (even though I can never figure out who did it), and romantic comedies, as well as anime. A few of my favorite shows and movies include: Mulan (animated version), Legally Blonde (both one and two), Fuller House, Knives Out, Frozen (the second one), and most recently Sing Two. I also love to play video games, board games, and card games with friends and family. As for future plans, I hope to travel to Ireland, Scotland, England, Japan, and all over Europe.

If anyone wants to know more, please feel free to ask in the comments!


I have also included an article for those who find it difficult to read, such as myself: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2xTPv88xR0nt1GVhQZRKt1L/want-to-read-more-books-ten-tips-to-help-you-turn-over-a-new-leaf. The articles lists a few tips, such as joining a book club, listening to audiobooks, and don't be afraid to give up on books you're not enjoying. The last tip I mentioned is probably the hardest tip to accomplish, as sometimes it feels like an obligation to finish a book that was started. I just want to reiterate this: If you rent a book from the library, and you just cannot get into the book, please return it and search for a different book. Do not try to force yourself to read a book you do not like (unless it is a requirement for a class, in which case talk to the instructor to see if there is an alternate book you could read).

6 comments:

  1. Hi Krystine, your college definitely gave me more insight on what you enjoy out of school. I am sure a student will be excited to have you as their editor! Are the dogs and the cat all yours?! I am definitely a dog lover and regret not putting mine on there! I also love watching shows and have accounts to hulu, netflix, disney plus, and hbo max. Japan is also somewhere my sister and I have always talked about going! The article you linked at the bottom was also a great resource for students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madison!

      Unfortunately the dogs belong to my dad and step-mom who decided to move to Arizona last year, so I have not seen them in over a year (the dogs, not my dad :p .) The cat however, is my furbaby.

      Delete
  2. Hi Krystine,

    I definitely think the information you share and your collage give enough information that your students will be able to connect with you and know you enough beforehand. I am sure you'll be able to find at least one similarity or common interest with a student and that helps them become more comfortable with sharing their writing with you. That is always a good thing.

    - Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krystine,
    I've been hoping to see a post from someone who doesn't call themselves a traditional reader. There are so many types of "literature" so it's great to see you highlight the digital forms with shows and audio books. I love movies, tv shows and audio books too but felt like it'd be overload to add those in addtion to add them into my already busy book collage. When you have students who aren't comfortable readers I think it's going to be great for them to know there's more than one way to enjoy literature.

    -Rigel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rigel,

      My best friend LOVES audio books and podcasts and has tried to get me to into them, but the issue that arises is that it is easy to zone out what is being listened to. I think the trick is going to be finding a book that a student likes, OR a means of which they enjoy reading. It is amazing that there are different ways out there to enjoy books though.

      Delete
  4. The classics and English can make for both a yummy but prickly pairing. One discipline asks you to look at the words as if they are set in time and place. Another asks you see the words as breathing and dynamic. I look forward to seeing how you balance these different pulls.

    ReplyDelete

The Eighth and Final Blog Post - Reflection

 I had never written a blog before, nor I had understood what a blog was used for. While I am still a bit confused, I know how useful a blog...