Even though computers and technology were fairly new when I was growing up, I remember always having a computer in the house. My dad was a computer programmer or data base administrator, so we needed one for when he was on call for work, but mainly we used the computers for computer games. Given, our internet was using Dial-Up back then, so connections and downloads were slow, not to mention this was a time where households only had landlines and with Dial-Up, you could either be on the internet OR on the phone, but not both at the same time. The funny thing is that while I am older than Google, Youtube, Tiktok, Snapchat, Facebook, etc, I do not remember much of what it was like without these social media applications. There was one assignment when I was in first or second grade, and I had to look up definitions for vocabulary words we were learning. I remember using a dictionary my dad kept on his desk, whereas now, one just needs to go to Google or Dictionary.com to look up a word. In addition, for most of my group projects, we use Google Docs so the group members can access the information and complete their portion when they have the time to do so as long as it is completed by the deadline provided. Google docs enables cooperation between group members without having to find time to meet in person. If someone has a question, they can post a comment or write the question in the document and then someone else will be able to answer the question in a timely manner, or if there are two people accessing the document at once, the updates are live. It is truly amazing and terrifying at how far technology has come.
I never used Myspace, which was the same concept as Facebook, but I am always on Facebook and another app called Discord. As a gamer, I tend to come across a lot of friends online from all over the world, and Discord allows us to text, voice, or video call without giving and real information. However, Facebook is nice to stay in contact with family and friends that do not live nearby and messenger is a lot faster than sending a handwritten letter. Facebook is also beneficial to me personally as my brother is in the Army National Guard and he sometimes has access to social media when he is deployed.
Jenkins (2006) "Executive Sumamry, Needed Skills & Participation" (pgs. 3-11), Haddix & Sealey-Ruiz (2012) "Digital Literacies for Urban Youth," and DeJaynes & Curmil-Hall (2019) "Critical Inquiry & Civic Engagement" touch on how technology and digital media have been affecting students and teachers in general. With technology never going away, many teachers are faced with how do they keep up with technology, without leaving students behind? Many English teachers require papers to be either turned in online, or printed out and turned in. This is an issue as not all students can afford access to the internet if research is required, or the student may not have access to a computer at all. Another issue that arises with the use of technology is that the teacher cannot control what website(s) the student goes to. This was an issue that occurred during the shutdown with Covid and I saw it first hand with my niece (now 9) and nephew (now 8). There were times when they would have to attend zoom meetings and they would be on a different tab playing a game or closing the video. My best friend could only do so much to make them pay attention. With the class being online, the teacher did not have much authority and there was little she could do.
While technology can be a double edge sword, it is convenient: https://www.waldenu.edu/programs/education/resource/top-five-benefits-of-technology-in-the-classroom is an article that explains why technology is important to integrate into the classrooms. Technology can be used to access materials, incorporates different learning styles, and prepares children for the future. Technology is never going away and is constantly improving.
Hi Krystine,
ReplyDeleteIt is exciting to realize how easy we are able to communicate with one another via online platforms. Discord is a great example of an outlet for communication! With the cons being access I definitely believe that schools can not require online homework if they are not either providing free chromebooks or have computers at school that students can access later in the day or over the weekend. At UW-Milwaukee we have access to the computers in the union for a long time which helps and you can rent out computers, this would be a requirement. I also experienced less focus over zoom calls and I am not sure what the solution to that would be. I guess those calls did not give me the creative outlet I needed since it was a virtual lecture. Interactive work has been better!
Honestly, as much as I prefer having lectures, I would almost rather have a pure online class as opposed to zoom lectures/classes. I have had one or two classes I was glad to have had the lecture for though (we used collab ultra), but without those lectures I would have been lost. But other classes I would just prefer in person or strictly online.
DeleteHi Krystine,
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that technology is great for staying in touch but it also got me thinking on the dangers of being so easy to reach because of technology, especially for younger students/less technologically experienced students. I think it would also be great if classrooms utilizing technology could give crash courses (at the very least) regarding online safety and red flags they may come across as they navigate digital media use. This would be especially important to do if teachers are planning on utilizing popular platforms such as Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Angie
I never thought about that ... I learned from my parents about posting and internet security about personal information ... I never stopped to think that not all students would know safety precautions.
DeleteHey Krystine! I'm wondering if you're going to be able to use any of your gaming experience with your students. I feel like that would be a helpful way to keep them engaged and relate to them on a deeper level. My kids love video games and would think it's great if one of their teachers talked to them about whatever game they were playing.
ReplyDeleteI think you made an important point that technology isn't going away and we need to adapt. I can't imagine being a teacher for the past 30 years have having to actively seek out the latest technology. But it's an important part of being a teacher to make sure your lessons are relevant and useful to your students.
Rigel
Unfortunately I do not think I would relate to what kids are playing these days >< . I play a game that is about 20-22 years old, but I do play board games and card games as well. Honestly, I am mostly looking forward to bringing up anime or manga as well as my tattoos. I want to be as open as I can with my students on a personal level, as respect and trust is earned and not given.
DeleteKrystine, I think it is super fantastic that you have a little bit of background in computers because of your dad, I feel like many people don't have that kind of in depth intel, we just continue to learn things as we go along. As well, I think this history provides a little bit more insight into you and your relationship with technology. Above all else, I love that you mentioned landlines, because sometimes I feel like I forget that we existed in a time of basic technology!
ReplyDeleteFor a time, I wanted to be a video game tester, and even ended up getting an Associates as an information technology network administrator. Then I decided to join the military, and have found that having a somewhat background in IT to be extremely helpful
DeleteHey Krystine, great post! I remember the dial up days! Mostly the sound to be honest. Something comforting about that scratchy, digital cacophony. I really liked how you brought up that the speed at which the online world has progressed makes it hard to remember a time when the latest "thing" didn't exist. Does that make sense? Like, it FEELS like Facebook or Snapchat ALWAYS existed even though I know that's ridiculous. I'm not a big Facebook fan myself (I would always somehow end up getting into a political fight with my grandpa when I was on there), but I do miss being able to chat with people I used to know in middle and high school. I also share your concern over whether or not students are using technology in a productive way. This is probably more of a worry when classes are strictly online, but you can never be too careful. The transition towards using technology and social media in the ELA classroom is going to a tricky one, for sure.
ReplyDeleteHey Logan,
DeleteIt is hard to believe how far technology has come since the '90s. I am also older than most technology platforms, which is hard to believe that I grew up with it and remember the old gadgets. (Such as VCRs and Cassette Tapes).
Krystine, you offer a nice timeline of your social media use and how it has changed so much in just the past 10-15 years. I hope this hands on experience with so many platforms from gaming to artistic creation will full your thinking about composing in the ELA classroom.
ReplyDelete